Sunday, April 28, 2013

My Adoption Path

     Some of you may wonder how I got to this point in the adoption process.  I will do my best to give a brief synopsis of my journey so far!
     I have always been interested in adoption and have known for a long time that I wanted to adopt a child myself.  I have had friends and family who are adoptees and who are adoptive parents.  

     Approximately 9 years ago, I decided I wanted to adopt.  I started saving money and looking into different agencies.  There was an agency a friend used and I wanted to use them as well.  China was in my heart.
     In 2006, China closed its doors to single parents.  I was crushed, but I knew that "The Adoption Monster" randomly rears its head and by the time I was ready to adopt, they may have changed their requirements again.  So I began looking at other options in the meantime.
     I strongly considered an agency working with Rawanda as a pilot program, but the timing wasn't right.  I briefly looked into Belize.
     I called about foster adopt. 
     Then the agency I wanted to work with started working with Honduras.  I fit the requirements and decided to inquire.  The day I was going to call, I opened my Facebook page and the first thing I saw was that China was opening its doors to singles again!  It was for special needs kids only.  So I had a decision to make.  Was it a sign? Was I suppose to go with China?
     After inquiring about both programs, I decided that Honduras was a good choice for me.
     In March 2011, I sent in my application.  I continued to save money, take the required adoptive parent training classes, look for a Home Study Agency, and see how the program developed.  No one had gone through the process with my agency yet.
     During the last two years, Honduras has gone through several strikes with agency workers, a restructuring of INFHA (Honduras Social Services), and a few other changes. 
     My Home Study and biometrics are complete.  However, I am not sure about moving forward with Honduras because the waiting list may take years at this point.  It is still a pilot program and things are still being worked out in-country.  I am exploring my options and have been talking with several domestic agencies.  
     I don't know where the path will lead.  I continue to ask questions and pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment