Saturday, March 9, 2013

Fear of Blogging

     I tried really hard to stay away from blogging.  There are already lots of adoption blogs out there.  Why add another blog?

Fears:
  • Who will be reading this blog?  Can I convey what I write to each reader whether they are seasoned in "adoption speak" or someone who knows very little about the topic?
  • How much time will I commit to each blog?  Will I do justice to each blog by taking the time to research answers or will I just be answering according to my own opinions?
  • Will I be too simple or too thorough? 
  • Will I know when one topic ends and another begins?
  • Will adoptive parents, prospective adoptive parents, and adoptees feel I have written truth (not just my own truth)?
  • What if I can't accurately describe my own thoughts and feelings in words?
  • What if I share too much or come across too sappy?  
  • Adoption is emotionally charged.  Not everyone will understand the roller coaster that it is...the small victories that seem huge, the wait, and at times, the hopelessness and desperation that seem to go along with the process. 
  • Will people take what I am saying too lightly, too literally, or not as intended?
  • Do I use humor or would it be taken out of context (the way written words often can be)?
  • What if the reader doesn't know me?  Will they understand where I am coming from? 
     Fears aside, I realize that I am the only one to share my story.  By blogging, I can answer adoption questions about my story (and maybe sometimes adoption on a larger scale) to the best of my ability.  I can also share where I am at in the process emotionally, financially, and schedule-wise.
     My blog posts may build on each other somewhat.  Some things I will repeat over and over again because that is how complex topics come to make sense to me.  If you ever wonder where I am coming from, refer to this post and know that I am a person coming from a place of knowledge, vulnerability, humility, humor, and love!  I will try to be simple and thorough at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. attempting to post for you again, Tonya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I think it worked! So, I want to say that this is a terrific idea, and I believe great things will come from your doing this blog! Congratulations on all of your beautiful work. Someday hopefully it will all pay off with a beautiful child of your own who can look back and get to know you and your efforts, beliefs, and energies to become united and their mommy! Best of luck, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help along the way!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete